Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday Teachings - The Letter B

Moving onto the next letter now. For the letter B there are a variety of foods and crafts that you can do.


For our B template, you can click on the print button and follow the directions.
B





Our first activity will be Butterflies. I put together a page of butterfly clip art that you can print out. I was going to cut out the butterflies and have my son glue them onto the letter B but I found some cute butterfly spangles in our craft supplies so we used those instead.

Butterflies

 If you use the clip art you do not have to cut out the antennas for the butterflies because you can just draw them on easily once the child glues them on.



Next we glued Buttons on to the B page. Before we did any actual gluing, we sorted buttons by color and size first. I figured I might as well get some extra lessons in while I had the buttons out.



Next we glued Beans on to the B page. These beans are from our bean activity box. My son loves to scoop and pour out the beans. We also have a bunch of the beans that I wrote out the alphabet  and numbers on for us to use in practicing letters and numbers.



This last activity that we did with the B page is my favorite. We made a Bee! I let him paint the B yellow and I cut out some black wings and black antennas. Once the yellow paint was dried, I let him paint on some black stripes and we waited for that to dry. Once the paint was completely dried we glued on the wings and the antennas. I think he turned out really cute.

Some other ideas to reinforce the letter B:

Food suggestions:
Bananas, bagels, bread, beans, broccoli, blueberries, basil, butter, brownies, blackberries, bundt cake and burritos. There are plenty more foods that start with B but I do not want to overload you.




Our food activity included making butter! I was excited to try this experiment to see how long it really took.
To do this you will need the following ingredients:

Glass jar with lid (I used a baby food jar)
Heavy Cream


Pour the heavy cream into the glass jar, no more than 1/2 to 2/3 full. The more cream in the jar the longer you must shake it to make the butter. I shook it for 10 minutes and had quite a bit of butter in the jar. Once you can feel the weight of the jar change and hear the butter you can stop. I poured mine into a strainer to let the buttermilk drain away as I did not actually need it. I then used some paper towels to dry the butter a bit, put it in a container and sprinkled it with a little salt, covered it and put it in the fridge to harden a little bit. The butter is quite soft when you make it. My son is only three so he did not help much with making the butter but he did shake it a little while before he lost interest.

You can print out the letter B and put it in a clear sheet protector/report cover or laminate it and give the child a dry erase marker to practice writing the letter B.

You can write the letter B on a chalkboard and give the kid a small amount of water with a paint brush. They can dip the brush in the water and use it to erase/trace your letter.

Find the letter B. Give a child a marker and an old magazine or newspaper. Ask them to go through a few pages and circle the letter B.

Lacing Cards - Print out the letter B and laminate it. Punch a hole every inch or so and let the child lace yarn or a shoestring.



Paint Bag - Squirt some tempura paint of shaving cream in a zipper style bag. Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. For safety and cleanliness sake, tape the bag closed also. Now put the bag on the desk and allow the child to trace the B.

All images that are easy to save, please hold onto those and put them all in a Alphabet Binder for the child.  To make the binders I will put the pictures in sheet protectors and then put them in a 3 ring binder.

The Attached Mama's Alphabet Craft Collection

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas here! Thanks for sharing and linking up to Tot Tuesdays. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete